Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Lent calendar prayer and reflection for 5 April

I can see four men walking about freely in the heart of the fire without coming to any harm. 

Daniel 3: 14-20, 91-92, 95
The vision we see today is quite startling. Three shadowy figures walk untouched in a burning furnace. The angel of the Lord comes and walks by their side, setting them free.

The three servants of God - Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego - refuse to worship the golden statue. They ignore the taunts of the powerful king, and instead hold onto their belief in God.

In what ways are we tempted to worship false idols? Do we submit to earthly powers, or are we brave enough to stay close to God, whatever the cost?

Sometimes I hear tempting whispers to treat myself like a golden statue. I realise I am doing this when I walk through busy London streets, putting myself before others and not letting anyone get in my way. I do not believe I have infinite worth over every creature. But do my actions sometimes speak otherwise?

Pray

Creator God, Redeemer of all, inspire us to have courage and to trust in you always. Amen.